Gillikin is the northern quadrant of Oz and home of the Gillikinese, people distinguishable by their prominent foreheads and slightly gapped front teeth. They also often have heads of curling blond hair and believed to be temperamental by non-Gillikinese.
The region is the most prosperous and industrially developed region in Oz, and is the home of the prestigious Shiz University. Galinda Arduenna Upland hails from Gillikin, as do (according to some) the ruling Ozma family.
Gillikin is more prosperous and industrially developed than other regions of Oz, and is home of Shiz University. Located around northern Oz, the Yellow Brick Road emerges from the Emerald City's northern Shiz Gate up to the Gillikinese capital, Shiz; from here, most of Gillikin cities are interconnected by the Great Gillikin Railway, running all over the province, along with the Gillikin River; it is implied that the railway was built above the Yellow Brick Road's remains. The Pertha Hills, located to the northwest of Gillikin, is a mountainous region, and the location of various upper class cities such as Frottica, Wittica, and Settica, as well as dripping dales, dairy farms, ancient pagan temples dedicated to worship fairy queen Lurline, and Mount Rouncible, the tallest mountain in Oz. Towards the east, the Great Gillikin Forest stands, being the original home of Brrr, and a tribe of Northern Bears under the rule of Queen Ursaless, and lions living on the shores of Lake Corge. The railway keeps running further east, through other market towns such as Traum and Tenniken, all the way to The Glikkus, a place full of emerald mines; the workplace of Glikkun miner trolls.
City of Shiz
Shiz is the capital city of Gillikin and one of the most populous and industrious cities in all of Oz, second only to the Emerald City. The city is led by the Lord-Mayor of Shiz, who holds quite a bit of Gillikin representation.
The city is also home to Shiz University, where Elphaba Thropp, Nessarose Thropp, Glinda Upland, Boq, and Fiyero Tigelaar attended school together. The university is composed of a cluster of many different colleges such as Crage Hall, Briscoe Hall, Three Queens, and Ozma Towers. Madame Morrible was the headmistress of Crage Hall.
- Glinda Arduenna Upland: The Good Witch of the North.
- Madame Morrible: Headmistress of Crage Hall at Shiz University and a cohort to the Wizard.
- Avaric Tenmeadows: The Margreave of Tenmeadows and an old school friend of Glinda and Elphaba.
- Brrr: Lion from the Great Gillikin Forest.
- Milla: School friend of Glinda and wife of Boq.
- Shenshen Minkos: School friend of Glinda, later a teacher at St. Prowds.
- Trism bon Cavalish: Army comrade and lover of Liir.
- Ama Clutch: Old chaperone of Glinda while in school.
- La Mombey Impeccata: A sorceress and later Eminent of Munckinland.
- Superior Maunt: The Mother superior of The Cloister of St. Glinda.
- Cherrystone: General of the Loyal Oz army.
- Larena Upland: The mother of Glinda.
- Highmuster Arduenna: The father of Glinda.
L. Frank Baum's original books
In the original stories by L. Frank Baum, the Gillikin Country is distinguished by the color purple worn by most of the local inhabitants as well as the color of their surroundings. The inhabitants are called Gillikins.
In contrast to Maguire's Wicked Years, in which Glinda is the good witch of the north, in Baum's novel's Glinda rules the south.