Quadling Country is the southern quadrant of the land of Oz. The inhabitants of this land are called Quadlings. In Gregory Maguire's Wicked Years, the Quadling Country is a largely undeveloped and swampy region filled with destitution.
Qhoyre is the capital city of Quadling Country. The other major city is Ovvels. Despite the marshy geography, there is one dry red brick road that connects the two cities.
The Quadlings have a dark, ruddy complexion and speak the Qua'ati language. They are typically thought of as inferior by the other races of Oz and are faced with oppression by the ruling forces of Oz, starting with the Wizard who built the Yellow Brick Road into Oz to allow for the collection of taxes in Quadling Country.
- Heart-Of-Mushroom: the Supreme Glaxony of Quadling Country.
- Chalotin: an old Quadling seer with no feet.
- Turtle Heart: a humble glass blower and lover to Melana Thropp and Frexpar the Godly.
- Candle Osqa'ami: wife of Liir and mother to Rain.
- Rain: half-Quadling daughter of Candle and Liir Thropp.
L. Frank Baum's Oz
In L. Frank Baum's Oz, the residents of Quadling Country wear mostly the color red, which is also the color of the country itself. Some parts of Quadling Country are wealthy and grand, and other areas are dangerous and prohibited. In the original book, Glinda rules over the Quadlings as Glinda the Good Witch of the South, contrasting to the Wicked years, in which Glinda resides over the north.